The Walk

Ni Sa Bula Vinaka and welcome to my space. I am known to be quite a story teller therefore I find it fitting to pen my thoughts down. These series of blog post titled "Tali Magimagi" is about pacific storytelling or Talanoa. In the past our ancestors used to share stories while weaving mats. So every strand of the woven mat has a story to tell hence a mat is very symbolic but not many people know this. This blog aims to weave untold stories and hope that many would share theirs. 

In this first part of the Tali Magimagi series, I wish to share my experiences from a walk I participated in from Suva to Lautoka with the United Blind Persons. It all started from a casual conversation with my buddy Josaia who lost his vision at the age of 10 after a jack fruit fell and struck his head, damaging a nerve. Josaia is a USP student pursing a Bachelors degree in Economics and Law. One evening as I was guiding him home, he asked me to be his guide for the white cane-a-thon (White CAT)wellness walk from Suva to Lautoka. Without even thinking twice about it, I agreed.

       In frame: Josaia and I taking a selfie during a short break at Outrigger Beach Resort

                  
The Wellness walk was from the 13th May to the 18th May 2019. It began from the United Blind Persons of Fiji head office at Brown Street then all the way to Uprising Beach Resort for day one. It was one of those days I didn’t want to sleep as I eagerly waited for the first ray of sun so I could head down to the office. Day 2 we walked from Uprising to Namatakula Village. Day 3 was from Namatakula to Vatukarasa village. While we were billeted at Vatukarasa, I crossed paths with “Bu” (grandmother) - the oldest women in Vatukarasa. Bu is 87 years old living by herself and has really good memories of her youth days. As she shared her story, the life she lived and her children, she reminded us of two things:

1. Kevaka o via kana, na matasawa tu ya mo lako lei nunu kemu ika. Ke sega o na lala tu ga na ketemu. (If you want to eat, go diving for fish. If not then you will remain hungry). What she meant was that our source of livelihood was the sea and land. We must make use of it and also protect it at the same time. She also told us not to see things easily but eat from the sweat of your brow.

2. Kevaka dou pasi tale na gaunisala i Vatukarasa dou kua ni guilecavi Bu. Ke sega au na virika nomudou motoka na vatu (The next time you go pass Vatukarasa, don’t forget Bu or else I will throw stones at your car). As she said this we all laughed away but deep within I had mixed emotions as I slowly brushed a tear off my face. This was deep and it was not happening to her only. It was a self-reflection to not forget your parents or grandparents no matter how busy your new life would be.

After a fun filled storytelling night with Bu, the team headed straight for Nadi. Day 5 we walked to Lautoka and back to Nadi. The final day we marched through Nadi town and had activities at the Korovula Park in Nadi. 


Pictured: Josaia surrounded by students of Ratu Filise Memorial School who had lined up and marched across the school grounds just to make a donation. 


Two things I experienced while spending the week with my brothers and sisters who are visually impaired.
  1. Talent- They all had melodious voices that was an entertainment for everyone during the walk. 
    Click here to watch video of United Blind Person Members singing during a stop over at Outrigger Beach Resort.
  2. Independence- Most of the time, Josaia  or any other visually impaired friends I guided would only require me to orientate them to the new environment. After few hours they are able to navigate around without any assistance. My friend Kini was surprised as Niko who is visually impaired, directed us to his house that was 10 mins drive away from the hotel using landmarks he had memorized.

As I wind down from the week-long event, I am reminded of God’s perfect grace that still loves us. I cannot imagine losing my sight but for Josaia, he has accepted it and learns to live and enjoy life. This was truly a remarkable journey. Till the next blog, let us keep on weaving our stories.  


Disclaimer: “This is a personal blog. Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal and belong solely to the blog owner and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.”

Comments

  1. This is heart warming and emotional at the same time 😭💖 You're a great writer Abel .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Life at 8

Lessons from a Hike