Life at 8

Life at 8. At 8 years old, all I had to worry about was going to school and studying to get good grades. I swear I did live a life of adventure at 8, building a tree-house or making a secret hideout. My understanding of the world then was one of happiness, colors and all children just enjoying life. Now I am 21 and I understand that not every child enjoys the same privileges growing up. Some have to struggle twice as hard and some have to shoulder adult responsibilities at an early age. 

Last Night as I was heading home, I came across 8 year old Josefa whose story is different from my version of life at 8. At 8 years old, Josefa tries to help his family make ends meet by selling roti curry parcels at Cost-U-Less car park. He is a class 3 student at a school in Suva and the 6th eldest of 9 children. His older siblings are all married and have families of their own. Being the eldest now in the house he feels the need to help his parents out. Therefore, every day after school Josefa rushes home to do his homework then around 5 p.m he makes his way to Damodar City to sell roti.

“I sell roti parcel to help my parents buy food and buy lunch for school for my siblings and I.
I start selling at 5 p.m or 6 p.m after finishing homework. We have to finish homework first before we come. That is why we are out here on the streets at night,” said Josefa.


Picture: Josefa selling roti parcel at Cost-U-Less carpark


His daily routine of selling roti parcel begins from Damodar City. After spending few hours there, he then walks to Cost-U-Less car park to finish selling all the roti parcels. If there is some roti parcels remaining by 9 p.m., he then walks over to wishbone to try sell it all. By 11 p.m. once all the roti parcels have been sold, he then takes a walk home to Gaji Rd.  

As the dust began to settle and he felt a bit more comfortable talking to me, Josefa explained how he dreams to one day be a solider. However, the environment he faces at school in trying to fit in is becoming a bigger challenge for him. Josefa had to switch schools this year because he was being bullied in his previous school.

"E ra dau bully taki au baleta e ra kila ni’u dravudravua. Gauna au kana curry na vakasigalevu, e ra dau vakasisilataka.” (They (school mates) bully me because they know I am poor. They are disgusted when I have curry for lunch)

But he doesn’t let this affect him and his passion to continue on in school. "Gauna e ra vacuki au, dau kaya vei ira, vacuki au tale. Baleta noqu qasenivuli ni lotu e tukuna ke dua e sabaki iko na yasana mawi, kaya vua me sabaki iko tale na yasana matau" (When they beat me up, I tell my bullies to punch me again. My Sunday school teacher told me if someone hits you on one cheek, offer the other one also).

Due to the circumstances he faces at school, he has decided not to let any of his peers know he sells roti to make a living. Only one of his good mates Sunia knows about it. Whenever he sees his other friends he hides from them.

After sitting and sharing stories with him for an hour, Tali Magimagi bid young Josefa good bye. Before going our separate ways, Josefa said “Bro, only three things important in this life- God above anything else, Education and Family”


To Josefa and all others following this series of Tali Magimagi- keep sharing your stories and Be Kind to one another. Till the next blog, Moce mada!


Disclaimer: “This is a personal blog. Any views or opinions represented in this blog are personal and belong solely to the blog owner and do not represent those of people, institutions or organizations that the owner may or may not be associated with in professional or personal capacity, unless explicitly stated. Any views or opinions are not intended to malign any religion, ethnic group, club, organization, company, or individual. All content provided on this blog is for informational purposes only. The owner of this blog makes no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information on this site or found by following any link on this site. The owner will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. The owner will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.”

Comments

  1. This boy... no this young man is an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Abel, this is Josefa Babitu.

    I'm just moved by Josefa's story. It got me into tears to think that here we are in the modern world, all thinking that children in Fiji are living a life that only our parents lived but little did i know, that this is still a life for some moreso many. Oh Abel! I'm touched, moved and...

    To Josefa, you are different, unique in a way that you really know what "struggle" really means and it is no doubt that you will become a soldier unless God plans otherwise. His plan Josefa is one that you will never regret surfing. Thank you for the act of bravery for your family and may God bless you and be with you and safe guard you too while walking to Gaji Rd. Vinaka Josefa!

    Thank you so much Abel for this moving and inspiring story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Abel. Yes sooo touching. We sometimes buy roti from him and my children always love giving him extra coin.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been buying roti from him sometimes. Sometimes i gave all my change to him and when he asked how much roti i would say only one and keep the rest😣😔

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isa, that was me once upon a time, but i did not sell roti curry to support my family. Such heavy responsibilities for a 8yo shoulder. I was always an outcast in school because i was poor, i wore old uniform, and broken sandals. My parents did all they could, but i always felt substandard. Now looking at this brave young boy, i feel much better off. If i could tell this boy something, everything in life is temporary, and eventually when you have the power to create change when you're old enough, work hard and work tirelessly for yours and your family's good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Isaaaa luvequ,vosota tiko!! I went through that situation too, I'm grateful and thankful to be cared and loved by my parents eventhough we didn't have much. However it taught me a lesson to work hard and be a humble person.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very touching story indeed. Good bless you young kid.

    ReplyDelete
  8. omg this story is so moving ,it really made me cry
    Now i really want to travel to suva to meet joseva in person....

    ReplyDelete
  9. This young man will be blessed more than he can ever imagine for helping his parents out. These are the kinds of people who I buy roti, purini, bananas in a plastic, pineappples , watermelons from because I understand the financial struggles they're currently battling. I was there once with my 3 sisters and a hard-working single mother.

    ReplyDelete

  10. Isaaa luvequ kila na Kalou sa taleva oti mai na noda vei siga ni mataka....Vei au mada noqu rai vaka Tina...Iko na gone tagane Qaqa...Vinaka Luvqu...Vinaka nida lako curuma na dredre meu tukuna vei iko na dredre qori na Vinaka e tiko iliu...Vinaka Na vakaliuca tiko na Gone Turaga o Jisu karisito kina nomu Bula❤

    ReplyDelete
  11. ����reading his story my goes out too him and how he has continued to be brave and strong throughout the struggle's his faced from school and home .dua na siga noqu tagane o na rawata nomu tatadra kua vaka dua ni yalo lailai Masu vakalevu vaka raravi taka nomu bula nomu matavuvale vua na Kalou levu o koya kila tu na vei ka dredre kece o sotava jiko.vinaka na vosota Kalougata jiko na nomu bula nomu sasaga.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. God bless you Josefa....Someday when I'm in Fiji maybe I'll come and buy all your roti....Isa the struggle... Don't worry little man there is always light at the end of the tunnel...GOD BLESS You

    ReplyDelete
  14. Bula Abel. I am so touched by this young gentleman's story. Thank you for highlighting this. Please let me know how I can help in terms of financial assitance towards this young gentleman. I would be glad to help in whatevet way I can. I know too well the struggle of trying to achieve something to be able to give back to your family. I can be contacted on 8369956. Please let me know and is he still hanging around at Cost-U-Less in the evenings. Vinaka..Kidd !

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isa vinaka vakalevu for sharing this. Bau mosi toka na yaloqu niu wilika

    ReplyDelete
  16. That's how successful people are made Josefa
    ....learn to weather the storm now...that struggle is a blessing in disguise....

    ReplyDelete
  17. 😢😢😢😢such an honourable young man. Has all the qualities of a perfect leader. God bless him and his family 💖

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am so blessed to be reading this 😭❤ Thanks for sharing! Josefa, my prayers is for you to prosper in everything you do & I pray that God will continue to keep his eyes on you & to bless you abundantly! & I believe that when you 're successful you will remember your humble beginning✊ Brave boy indeed! God bless bro!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Reading this brings tears to my eyes , taciqu josefa be strong for the the bible says Luke 18:1 - always pray and dnt give up

    ReplyDelete
  20. Isa Bula Vinaka Luvequ
    It's prestige to know you my dear.
    I'm so blessed and touched by your mere words.
    Kila back in my school days, every Friday after school I used to hurried home to help my mom and my sibling to get some cassava and some vegetables to be sold at Nausory Mini Market. And around 3am our truck or caria will always be there to pick us up.I used to sell in the market and even when I'm still at the University of the South pacific doing my bachelor in Education, after my class I went to help my mom sell čooked cassava at Suva.I'm proud of who I am.and till now I'm so proud that I have achieve my dreams and goal for my family and also my daughter.Luvequ God have greater plans in your future Luvequ.
    Kila ira na gone dau beci tu,God will lift them up with honour.Dont ever forget that oky.
    You have determination,courage,
    kindness,Hope,
    Perserverance and boldness to conquer any war that is coming on your way.
    Vakanuinui vinaka tu yani Luvequ, ena nomu soko.
    May the Lord shower his blessing to you every path you take and even your love one's and also to your families.
    Lots of love from all of us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Uuuuleeeiii..sa dua dina na cauravou qaqa.
    Au sa sega ni tarova rawa na drodro vakayauyau ni wai ni mataqu ena noqu wilika nai talanoa oqo.
    Ni da raica na bibi ni colacola e gadreva na taciqu qo me veivuke kina e vale.
    Sa bau mosimosi dina.
    Au sa tu vakarau meu na veivuke ena nodratou vakacokotaki.
    Vinaka vakalevu.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isa qu tagane,vinaka na vosota tiko na dredre , vakabibi ena yabaki ni bula o donuya tiko.
    Me na soko vata tiko kei iko na Kalou Levu na Tamada ena gauna dredre o lako curunma tiko.
    Bless you and your family Josefa.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Walk

Lessons from a Hike